Saturday, February 3, 2024

Evil 

   “Evil exists because His love is not accepted; His love is misunderstood, rejected, and resisted." (Robert Cardinal Sarah) 

   I sit before the crucifix and look upon my Lord nailed to the cross, His lifeblood draining from His many wounds, His breath coming in painful gasps as he awaits the suffocation of the cross.  I recognize that the evil I have done in my life are the nails that fasten Him to that cross.  My sins were the lashes He received, my failures the cross He carried to Calvary.  How can I not feel shame and overwhelming sorrow for the pain my Lord suffered for me?  How can I not open my heart to such a loving Savior?

   There are far too many who never consider the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for them.  They ignore the agony He endured to offer them salvation and the forgiveness of sins and continue to drive the nails through His hands and feet.  They fuss and complain about how things are in the world, never stopping to consider that the evil in their own lives is in part the reason the world is such a wicked place.

   When we turn from God, we turn to Satan.  I know that sounds overly simplistic, but it is true; we can choose the good that God desires or we will serve the evil that Satan desires.  It’s no one else’s fault, no one else is to blame, only ourselves.

   “The Lord, your God, is a consuming fire and a jealous God.” (Duet 4: 24).   He will not share our heart with evil thoughts and desires; it must be given completely to His love.

  

1 comment:

  1. It would be great if occasionally our eyes could look inward instead of always outward. Seems to me, we have little trouble seeing everyone else’s flaws, but to see our own is a most difficult a task.

    ReplyDelete