Friday, February 9, 2024

 Spiritual Deafness 

   During His ministry Jesus cured many from deafness.  In some way I see these miracles as an indication of the spiritual deafness of so many people today.  They cannot, or will not, hear the word God, the good news of Jesus Christ.  Their deafness will lead them to perdition.

   How do we overcome spiritual deafness?  To me it requires times of silence and solitude.  Time to sit quietly with my Lord, perhaps saying nothing, just contemplating His incredible love.  So many times I become aware of His will for me by just spending time alone with Him.  I can’t explain it, but in the silence is God’s word.

   We also need to listen, and I mean really listen, at Mass.  Don’t just repeat the prayers, pray them reverently and sincerely.  The Lord’s prayer is a beautiful means of coming to understand and to love God more but so many simply parrot the words, never considering the meaning.  God does not speak to a closed mind.  We must open ourselves to Him if we wish to hear His voice.

   The adoration chapel is an incredible means of communing with our Lord.  He is present there before us in the Eucharist.  The quiet of the chapel, the reverence of those who are there to sit and be with the Lord creates a spiritual environment beyond compare.  I challenge anyone who does not spend time in adoration before our Lord in the Eucharist to do so.  I am certain that you will find a closeness to our Lord you have never experienced before.

   On the mountain top Elijah found God not in the wind, the earthquake, or the fire.  He found Him in the tiny whisper. (see 1 Kings 19: 11 – 12).  It is in the silence, in the quiet that our spiritual deafness will be healed, and we will hear the voice of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment