Wednesday, February 21, 2024

 Sacrifice 

   Though he was in the form of God, he did not regard equality with God as something to be grasped.  Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in the likeness of man, he humbled himself, and became obedient to death, even death on a cross.” (Phil 2: 6 – 8) 

   When I think of the Son of God desiring to love me so much that He would give up His place in heaven to be born of the virgin Mary, to become a man in all ways but sin, to sacrifice His very life for me I am in awe.

   How can I ever begin to repay such love, such mercy, such a sacrifice?  The truth is I can’t.  There is nothing I have or can do to make me worthy of such love.  All I can offer is myself, my heart, my soul, my love, my obedience.  In these ways I can strive to show my Lord how much I love Him and how thankful I am for all His many blessings.

   Lent is a time to consider sacrifice in our life.  A time to reflect on the sacrifices Jesus made for us and to ponder our own life and what sacrifices we make for Him.  Do we make any?  Are the ones we make a true denial of something of meaning or just something we do to comply with the calling of Lent?  We need to look deep within us and discern how seriously and how devotedly we fulfill our Lenten “obligation.”

   Spend some time gazing upon our Lord on the crucifix.  Walk the way of the cross with Jesus, contemplating on the pain and agony He willingly suffered for our salvation.  Sit quietly and consider all He endured, never complaining, never withdrawing, willingly and lovingly giving His all that we might have a path to God’s heavenly kingdom.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment