Thursday, February 8, 2024

 Glimpses of Heaven 

   “Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has the human heart imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” (1 Cor 2: 9) 

   This is one of my favorite verses in scripture.  It always sets my mind and my soul to considering what might be awaiting me if I finish the race in the grace of God.

   All kinds of possibilities come to mind, but I know they are nothing compared to what heaven will truly offer.  Still, just to sit and contemplate heaven causes me to grow in love of the God who loves me so much.

   Then I realize that God gives us glimpses of what awaits even in this world.  Consider the smile of a newborn as they hear the voice of their mother, grasping her finger as tightly as possible.  The trust and love of small children for their parents.  I can easily understand why Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.

   A sunrise or sunset at sea on a clear day puts the majesty of God’s creation on display in such vivid color and texture.  A storm as sea speaks to the power of God, creator of all there is and all there ever will be.  The multitude of stars visible on a cloudless night testifies to the enormity of God's creation.

   In an incredible way the love of a man and a woman in a truly sacramental marriage reflects an image of heaven here on earth.  When love is shared unsparingly and unselfishly between spouses and with God, we come close to knowing the love we will experience in the next life.

   I’m not sure why people always seem to look up when they speak of heaven.  Heaven is not a place, it’s neither up or down, east, or west.  Heaven is within everyone who is in love with God and live their life to please Him in all they do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment