Wednesday, February 28, 2024

 Third Station of the Cross

Jesus falls the first time 

   The scourging, the crown of thorns forced onto His head, the beatings and mistreatment all took their toll on our Lord.  The lack of food, water and rest added to His weakened condition.  Then the cross of His execution was placed on His shoulders and He began the journey to Calvary through the streets of Jerusalem.  Surely the weight would bear Him down, causing Him to fall, not once, but at least three times during His passion.

   When I contemplate this event in Jesus’ passion I can’t help but believe that it was my sins as much or more than the mistreatment which bore so heavily upon my Lord that He fell to the ground under that weight.  I’m certain that the sins I have committed and those I will commit in the future are part of the burden he bore for me.  My soul aches with the pain I have caused our Lord.

   Why would the Son of God suffer so greatly and willingly give up His life for those who reject Him, refusing His love and mercy?  I am certain He didn’t come to save us out of need or necessity.  What could we possibly have that God needed?  The only thing He has ever asked of us is our love and our acceptance of His love for us.

   God made us to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in Heaven.  This question and answer from the Baltimore Catechism tells us everything we need to know about God’s plan for us.  It seems quite simple, but its very simplicity is sometimes what confounds us.

   Contemplate our Lord, wounded, bleeding, near death, face down in the street under the weight of the cross.  Ask, how can I, today, lighten His load by living my life for Him, by dying to self that He might live in me?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment