Friday, April 19, 2024

 In Faith 

   “For my thoughts are not  your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.  As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways and my thoughts above your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55: 8 – 9) 

   My thoughts and my ways are skewed by sin and confusion brought about by Satan and his evil ways.  I see things from an earthly, often selfish point of view.  The ways of God are pure, and purity is not a part of my human existence.  Therefore, I struggle at times to understand what He is asking of me, question the directions He would have me follow.

   For a long time I felt that if I read enough, studied enough, and prayed enough I would be able to understand all the ways of God, but I’ve come to recognize that this is not possible.  It is not intended that I understand His ways, only that I trust them and follow them.  Faith as St. Paul wrote, “…is the assurance of what we hope for and the conviction about things that cannot be seen.” (Hebrews 11: 1).  Faith is to trust in God whether I understand or not.

   In a society that so often disappoints faith can be hard.  We learn that to trust in others will sometimes bring pain and sorrow.  Our faith is abused by those who would seek only their own good and so we quit having faith in others, sometimes including God.

   We cannot allow the ways of the world to lessen our trust in God.  The world is an imperfect place full of questions and doubts but there is no doubt that God’s ways are the ways that will lead us home.   We may not understand, and we may be confused by what comes our way, but we must always remember that the ways of God are beyond our comprehension.  His will is to bring us to Himself and if we trust in Him, it will be so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment