Saturday, April 20, 2024

 Saints and Sinners 

   “As far as east is from the west so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” (Psalm 103: 12). 

   It doesn’t matter where we came from, it matters where we are going.  Each of has it within us to become a saint through the grace of God.  We must only be willing to cooperate in His plans for us.

   I look to St. Augustine as the perfect example of this truth.  He was a fornicator with an illegitimate son, a heretic extensively involved in the Manichean heresy, and an egoist whose only concern was his own advancement.  Yet he became one of the greatest saints, changing the lives of millions.  His history and his transformation should serve as an example to us.

   As sinners we often offend our Lord with our sins and failures.  We know what is right, but we fail to do it.  We sometimes don’t have time for God, but we always seem to find time for our earthly wants and desires.  Still, with God’s help we can change our lives and become the saints He created us to be.  It’s not easy and sometimes it seems almost impossible, but with the help of our Heavenly Father nothing is impossible.

   There is a little prayer that I often say, “Father, make me the man you created me to be.  Make me holy, make me a saint.”  I sometimes don’t know where I am going but I pray that God has me on the right path.  I trust that even if I stray, He will not abandon me but gently guide me back to the road that leads to Him.  This is my prayer, this is my hope, this is my greatest desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment