Friday, December 3, 2021

 Answering God’s Call 

   “Grace will move you only when you want it to move you, and only when you let it move you.” (Bishop Fulton Sheen, “Simple Truths:  Thinking Life Through with Fulton J. Sheen”) 

   God is not an impersonal observer in my life, He is the one who gave me life and desires that I live it to the fullest.  He gives me the means to respond to His love, He gives me His grace.  It is this grace which can lead me to eternal life with Him.

   However, I must respond to the grace He offers.  I must decide to allow His grace to affect my life, to change those things that need changing and to keep those that are of God.  If I don’t cooperate, His grace cannot work the miracle of change within me, and I will never know Him as I should.

   St. Augustine famously said, “Lord, make me pure, but not yet.”  He was not ready to allow God’s grace to work within Him, he still wanted things his own way.  When He finally surrendered to God’s grace he became one of the greatest saints of the Church.  When God’s grace drives our life, miracles happen.

   Quite often God’s grace is a call to be different, to refuse to live as the world lives.  He calls us to truth, making us aware of the lies we may have come to accept in life; lies fostered by the father of lies, Satan.  Lies spread by the agents of Satan who live among us.

   The grace of God is what enables us to reject society and its false gods.  His grace will lead us to the truth and the truth will lead us home. 

You are a generous Father.

You give me grace beyond compare.

Your grace gives strength.

Your grace will lead me home. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment