Thursday, December 2, 2021

 Safe Harbor 

   “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matt 11: 28) 

   In a world full of distractions safe harbor can be hard to find.  We are faced with the lures and enticements of the world every day of our life.  Neon signs tell us what we should buy, where we should go and what we should eat.  From the time we wake up in the morning until we close our eyes at night, there are demands made upon us.  Where can we find the rest we so desperately need?

   Jesus tells me very clearly that the rest I seek is in Him.  He will relieve me of my burdens and give me rest.  In a boat tossed about in the chaos of this world Jesus is the safe harbor in which I can let go of the external and rest in the presence of the Lord.

   My safe harbor is a quiet place, a place with no distractions and no demands.  It is within me when I close the doors, shut out the world, and simply be with God.

I’ve only recently come to know the peace and serenity of solitude and silence.  I’ve gone on silent retreats for many years, but a two or three day retreat simply tells me that I need more; more quiet time, more silence, more personal time with God.  Only there can I find rest.  Only there am I truly at home in this world.

In a world full of evil, full of distractions competing for my time, I need a place of safety.  A place where I can go to be reassured that life is not defined by this world but by the world to come.  A safe harbor where I can rest in peace with my Lord. 

In You there is peace.

A peace born of love.

A peace born of mercy.

Let me rest in that peace always. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment