Monday, December 13, 2021

 Solitude 

   “Solitude can be very rewarding and full of blessing because in the silence of the inner being one finds God.”  (Fulton J. Sheen) 

   Our Lord often sought solitude during His ministry.  There are several instances in the gospels that speak of Jesus going apart to pray and be with the Father.  After His baptism he went into the desert and remained for forty days.  He went up on the mountain alone for prayer and solitude before naming the twelve apostles.  Finally, He left His apostles to watch and went alone to pray in the Garden of Gethsame.

   Jesus encouraged His apostles to do the same, “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” (Mark 6: 31).  We are encouraged to find solitude as well, “But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret.  And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.” (Matt 6: 6).

   Silence and solitude are important in prayer and, I believe, in most other aspects of life.  How many times have we done something in haste that we later regretted?  Most of those times could have been avoided if we had just taken a few moments in quiet thought before acting.

   In my experience it is in silence that God most often speaks to me.  It is not verbal, but He speaks directly to my heart.  It is in solitude that I grow closer to Him, opening my mind, my heart, and my soul to Him.  My most perfect peace is found in the quiet times spent with my Lord.

   Especially now, as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus, we need to take time, go to a quiet place, and be with the Lord.  To contemplate the sacrifice He made for us and to give Him thanks and glory for all He has done and continues to do. 

Teach us peace through solitude

Be with us in the silence of our hearts.

Come to us, refresh our souls. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment