Wednesday, December 29, 2021

 Trust In God 

   “We must always remember that God does everything well, although we may not see the reason of what He does.” St. Philip Neri 

   Trust can sometimes be difficult, even trust in God.  Life brings many great joys, but also pain and sorrow.  It can be difficult to understand why things happen; sometimes even impossible.  How, we ask, can a loving, merciful God allow such tragedies in life?  If He loves us why must we suffer.  We seek answers, but sometimes we can’t find them.

   The answer, at least for me, was given on a hillside outside Jerusalem over two thousand years ago.  When I look at my Savior nailed to a cross, I see pure evil in those who caused such a thing.  Then I realize that I am, at least in part, the cause of His passion and death.  He died for my sins because I am unable to sufficiently atone for them.  A perfect sacrifice was needed, and Jesus chose to make that sacrifice.

   Even the apostles were unsure of what had occurred.  This was the Messiah, how could he be dead and in a tomb?  I’m sure they struggled with the “why” of all that had happened.  Then He arose, and they knew.  From the greatest evil came the greatest good, salvation for all who would accept it.

   I’ve quit trying to understand why some things happen.  I’ve come to realize that I will never know the reasons for all of God’s actions in this world.  Instead, I will trust in Him, recognizing that He does nothing that is not ultimately for the good.  Perhaps in the next life, when I am in His presence, I will know.  Until then, I will trust. 

Father, all You do is for the good.

From great evil, You bring great good.

Though I may not understand,

I will trust in You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment