Sunday, December 26, 2021

 Change 

   Change can be good, or change can be bad.  Sometimes it takes time to recognize whether the change in our life was for the good or the bad.  The one thing that we can always be sure of is that change is inevitable.  Without change we can become complacent, unwilling to grow.  Even worse, if we aren’t moving ahead we are quite possibly falling behind.

   As I look back over my life I readily see that some of the changes that I thought were for the good actually hampered my spiritual growth.  I suppose at the time of the change I was perhaps not as conscious of or as concerned with my spirituality as I ought to have been.  St. Augustine wrote, “Late have I loved you, beauty so old and so new:  late have I loved you.”  To my shame there have been times in my life when I didn’t know and love the Lord as I needed to.

   There are also changes in my life that I found full of sorrow and pain that produced great growth in my relationship with God.  Sometimes we must be in the depths of despair before we fall to our knees and reach for the heights.  I believe God sometimes gives us mountains to climb to help us trust in Him; to make us understand that there is no mountain that can’t be overcome with His help.

   Change is a part of God’s plan for my life.  I must remember that with God all things are possible, even those I may believe to be impossible. 

Father, change is a part of life.

Help me recognize Your hand in the changes.

Let me understand Your purpose.

Change me, make me holy. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment