Sunday, December 19, 2021

 The Humility of the Blessed Mother 

   I have always been struck by our Blessed Mother’s visitation with Elizabeth recounted in Luke’s gospel, the mother of God hurrying to help another.  What a beautiful example of the humility and caring we should have in our own lives.

   Elizabeth recognized this fact when she said, “And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my lord should come to me.”  (Luke 1: 43).  The visit was unexpected, and the Holy Spirit came upon both Elizabeth and the baby in her womb, John the Baptist.

   Mary displayed her humility when she replied, “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior.  For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness…” (Luke 46 – 47).  No evidence of pride or self-importance, just recognition of the great blessing God had bestowed upon her.

   I’ve read this gospel account many times, but today something new occurred to me.  When Elizabeth greeted Mary she said, “Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.” (Luke 1: 45).  I recalled that when Zechariah was told that Elizabeth would become pregnant, he doubted and was made mute because of those doubts.  Our Blessed Mother never doubted, but replied, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.” (Luke 1: 38).

   Mary gave us many examples of how we should live our lives, giving our all to the Lord and His will.  We should strive to follow her example in all we do. 

Lord, help us to live as Mary.

To always seek Your will and never doubt. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment