Thursday, December 16, 2021

One With God 

   “Dear Lord, when shall I be completely one with You and entirely forgetful of myself?  You in me and I in You; grant that we may be always so and remain as one forever.” (Thomas à Kempis, “Imitation of Christ”) 

   Life should be lived to obtain oneness with God.  Regardless of what I do in this life, nothing is as important as my relationship with the Lord.

   The only way I know of growing closer to God in my efforts to become one with Him is to love Him above all else.  If there is anything in life that becomes a higher priority than loving God, I have failed.

   At the last supper, as Jesus was preparing His apostles for the reality of His coming passion and death, He said, “In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live.  On that day you will realize that I am in the Father and you are in me, and I in you.” (John 14: 19 – 20).  He would no longer be with them in physical form but would be always with them in their hearts.  He promises the same to you and me.

   The world seeks a God they cannot see because they do not look within themselves.  Our Lord did not leave us alone but promised to be with us forever.  All we need to do is believe and look within us and He will be there.

   My greatest desire is to become one with God, to become detached from this world and its’ false promises and hopes.  It is within my grasp to achieve this hope, but only if I trust in God and place myself completely in His hands.  May His will, not mine be done. 

You created me to love You.

Increase my love.

My wish is to be one with You.

Bring me always nearer to You. 

Amen

  

No comments:

Post a Comment