Tuesday, July 5, 2022

 Away From the Maddening Crowd 

   “He said to them, ‘Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.’” (Mark 6: 31) 

   For many years I’ve tried to take a three or four day retreat each year.  A time to shut out the world and simply be with the Lord.  To pray, to read, to just sit in silent contemplation.  It refreshes my soul and strengthens me.

   The early desert Fathers left the cities and the populated areas to escape the immorality and sinfulness present there.  They went to the desert or other isolated areas to be alone with God.  It wasn’t unusual for a few of them to come together occasionally for fellowship and sharing, but it was somewhat rare.  Though not as well known, there were also several desert Mothers, women who chose the same way of life.

   There is a certain urge in me for solitude and silence.  In the past I’ve satisfied this urge by my annual retreats.  However, in recent weeks and months I’ve begun to wonder if I need to go on retreat more than once a year.  Everywhere I look I see immorality and sinfulness; people who not only reject God but are adamant to remove all mention or knowledge of Him from society.  They would deny it, but without God there can be no society.

   Perhaps there will again be desert Fathers and Mothers, those who can no longer tolerate the ways of society and choose to remove themselves.  I see an example of this in the families who have chosen to live near the Benedictine Abbey I visit.  They have rejected societal ways and chosen the ways of God.  They are a wonderful example of living for God, not self.

   In a few weeks I will, God willing, return to the Abbey for a few days of quiet and solitude.  I look forward to the Godliness and peace of soul that I will find there.  I need to go away to a quiet place by myself and be with my Lord.  I need to get away from the maddening crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment