Tuesday, July 19, 2022

 Mistake and Sins 

   Not a day goes by that I don’t make mistakes and sin.  How I wish I could avoid them.  Yet, I am human, and humans are prone to mistakes.  Just ask Adam and Eve.

   Even though I regret the mistakes I make there is some good that comes even from those mistakes.  They remind me of how fallible I am and teach me humility.  It’s hard to be prideful when I can’t even get through a day without committing blunders of some kind.

   There is some comfort in the fact that I am not alone, we all make mistakes.  Even St. Peter made the mistake of denying that he even knew Jesus rather than risk being arrested with Him.  And poor Judas, what a mistake he made.  He knew it, he went back to try to correct it by giving back the money he was paid to betray the Lord but was rebuked in his efforts.  Then he made an even greater mistake; he failed to realize that Jesus would have forgiven him even of his betrayal.

   No one is immune, but we can’t give up.  We must try to avoid sin even though we will make mistakes and sin every day.  The biggest mistake we can make is the one Judas made; come to believe that our mistakes are so grievous that Jesus will not forgive.  We have a loving, merciful God who wants to forgive.  “Come now, let us set things right, says the Lord.  Though your sins be like scarlet, they may become white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they may become white a wool.” (Is 1: 18)

   We will make mistakes, we will commit sin, such is the bane of humanity.  But we are defined by our trust in God and His willingness to forgive a repentant sinner, and the courage to get up and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment