Wednesday, July 13, 2022

 The Will of God 

   “When you pray, you only have to ask for two things:  You should ask for the light to see the will of God, and you have to ask for the courage to be able to do the will of God.” (Venerable Msgr. Aloysius Schwartz) 

   Our prayers are sometimes little more than a laundry list of earthly desires that we want God to provide.  We treat the Creator of all as a Father who wishes to spoil His children by giving them whatever they ask.  This is not seeking God’s will, this is selfishness.

   It’s often hard to accept the will of God.  There are times when things occur that cause great pain and sorrow and we can’t understand why.  And yet we know that the will of God is always for the best, even when we can’t understand.  God's will is always for our good, never evil.  This fact we must accept, trusting always in Him.

   Sometimes in our prayers we convince ourselves that God, through the Holy Spirit, is guiding us when in truth we are guiding ourselves and arrogantly assuming the Spirit has confirmed our desires.  I experienced this several years ago when I became convinced that I was called to the Deaconate.  It took the rebuke of three attempts to teach me that it was my desire, not the Holy Spirit that was leading me.

   God’s ways are so far above our ways that we dare not assume that what we desire conforms to His plans.  When things go as we wish our prayers are to be of thanksgiving and praise.  When tragedy or hardship comes, our prayer must be one of acceptance of His will.  In those times our prayer should be that of our Lord, Jesus Christ in Gethsemane, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will.” (Matt 26: 39)

No comments:

Post a Comment