Saturday, July 2, 2022

 The Power of the Tongue 

   “Consider how a small fire can set a huge forest ablaze.  The tongue is also a fire.  It exists among our members as a world of malice, defiling the whole body and setting the entire course of our life on fire, itself set on fire by Gehenna.  For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed , but no human being can tame the tongue.” (James 3: 5 – 8) 

   Many times I’ve spoken only to regret the words I said.  How many times I’ve wished I could take back the hurtful things I’ve said to another.  In many ways my tongue is my enemy.  Sometimes it seems as if it has a mind of its own, one beyond my control.

   Half truths and opinions are plentiful and far too often are offered as rock solid fact.  When I speak my words affect others, even to the point of misleading them if what I say is confusing or mistaken.  It’s on my soul if I willingly mislead, but even when it is done inadvertently much damage can be done.

   I’ve come to believe that its best to say nothing rather than chance misleading or hurting others.  But, as St. James reminds me, no human can tame their tongue.  Far too often I find that I’ve spoken before I thought; the words, once said, can never be recalled or changed.  I can retract and/or revise what I’ve said, but often the damage has already been done and cannot be undone.

   Jesus said, “It is not what enters one’s mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth that defiles.” (Matt 15: 11).  The tongue can give praise and thanks one minute and then spew venomous hatred the next.  There is an old saying that is quite appropriate, “If you can’t say something good, it’s best to say nothing at all.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment