Saturday, October 22, 2022

 Distractions 

   “Evil is whatever distracts.” (Franz Kafka) 

   Sometimes there is wisdom from the most unexpected sources.  Although he was Jewish by birth, in his youth Kafka declared himself an atheist.  As an adult, he was a womanizer who frequented brothels most of his life.  Still, his thought about the evil of distractions is of value to the Christian life.

   I know that I am plagued by distractions in my religious life.  Whether at prayer or at Mass, random thoughts come to mind causing me to begin wandering away from thoughts of God.  In talking to friends, I find that I am not the only one who experiences these distractions while seeking God; he attacks us all at times.

   Satan becomes more aggressive as we become closer to God.  The nearer we come to our Lord, the harder he tries to disrupt that relationship in any way possible.  Evil thoughts, distractions, loss of concentration all are all part of his playbook to hamper our spiritual life.

   There seems to be no way to avoid such things.  Try as I may to focus intently on the Mass or my prayers, the spurious thoughts still come to mind.  Not only are they distracting they cause frustration because nothing I do seems to stop them.

   Since I can’t find a way to stop Satan's intrusions, I’ve sought ways to shut him out when he does intrude.  I’ve found better, though not complete, success in pushing him away rather than keeping him out.  Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, in his television show in the 50’s and 60’s often used a chalkboard to highlight his main points.  He always began by writing “JMJ”, standing for Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, at the top of the board.  Using this same idea has worked for me as well.  When I feel the distractions coming I call on the names of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, demanding that Satan depart.

This method isn’t perfect and often the distractions will return, but it is the best I’ve found to fight the devil’s evil thoughts when they enter my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment