Friday, October 7, 2022

 To Be Holy 

   “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.” (Luke 1: 35) 

   Holiness is not something I can achieve through my own efforts; it must come as a grace from God.  I can strive as best as I can, but unless I am willing to allow the Spirit to come upon me and let the power of God overshadow me I will never become holy.

   The difference between what many consider holy and what is truly holy is the denial of self, allowing God to rule in my life.  I must take to heart the words of Christ when He said, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” (Mark 8: 34).  That must become my guide in life, to forget the desires of this world, including my own earthly desires, and desire only the will of God.

   There is a certain trepidation in making such a commitment.  It means forgoing my will for the will of God.  It means knowing that I live in a world of sin, but I can never allow myself to be at home in that world.  I must realize the truth of the words of St. John, “And this is the verdict, that the light has come into the world, put people preferred darkness to the light, because their works were evil.” (John 3: 19).  Paraphrasing St. Therese of Lisieux, "The world is my ship, not my home."

   If I am willing, if I will trust in God, I too can be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit and the power of God will overshadow me.  If I am willing, God will make me holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment