Friday, October 21, 2022

 Send Me 

   “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?’  ‘Here I am Lord,’ I said, ‘send me!’” (Isaiah 6: 8) 

   I believe the Lord is asking the same of me that He asked of Isaiah; not only me, but all Christians.  We often think that there are no prophets left in the world and if that is true it is only because no one will answer, “Send me!”

   We are sometimes confused about what a prophet really is.  Some think they are fortune tellers or seers of some kind, but a prophet is one who speaks for the Lord, who proclaims the word of the Lord and the gospel.  The only requirement is that we answer the Lord’s call to “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.” (Mark 16: 15).

   Each day we have the opportunity to be a prophet for the Lord.  In the way we live our life, the way we treat others, by our whole outlook on life.  When we know the peace of God it cannot be hidden, is a sign, a proof of the gospel alive in us.  It is a joy that might encourage others to seek to find that same peace, leading them to God.  As St. Francis is attributed with saying, we can "Preach the Gospel at all times, use words when necessary."

   God does not seek those who are qualified to serve, but those who are willing.  By His grace He will make them able.  When He calls answer, “Here I am Lord, send me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment