Sunday, October 30, 2022

 Yes Lord 

   “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’  And I said, ‘Here I am, send me!’” (Isaiah 6: 8). 

   “Yes” to the Lord cannot include conditions; there are no if’s and’s or but’s.  When a would be follower asked Jesus to let him go and bury his father first Jesus’ response was, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their dead.” (Matt (8: 23).  It was not an offense to love of family, it was a clear statement of what it means to say yes to the Lord.  Jesus was offering the disciple, who had been dead due to sin, new life.

   Too many times I think many of us, myself included, want to put conditions on our faith.  We want to practice our faith when it is convenient, when we have the time.  If we miss prayer time, we will just make it up later, if we have the time.  We tend to forget that it was certainly not convenient for Jesus to be nailed to the cross, to suffer and die for our sins.

   If we go to the Lord saying, “Yes, Lord,” while adding, “here is how I will serve  you”, we have missed the point.  We act as if God needs us, but He doesn’t.  Everything we have came from Him, our very life included.  There is nothing we have and nothing within us that God needs, but still He wants us.  But He wants us without conditions, no strings attached.

   What God wants from us is our love, unconditioned, with no reservations.  Jesus loved us so much that He gave His life that we might have the chance to spend eternity in God’s heavenly kingdom.  He reopened the doors closed by the sins of Adam and Eve.  He will welcome us with open arms if we simply say, “Yes, Lord!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment