Sunday, July 2, 2023

 Opening the Scripture 

   “Then, starting with Moses and going through all the prophets, he explained to them the passages throughout the scriptures that were about himself.” (Luke 24: 27)

 

   When I read of Jesus opening the scriptures to the disciples on the road to Emmaus I can’t help but wish that I could have been there with them as He explained the scriptures to them.  Through prayer and by the grace of God He does, at times, open the scripture to me in a way.

   I often try to place myself in the scripture, to become a participant in what is happening.  For instance, in reading St. John’s account of the feeding of the five thousand one phrase captures my attention, “There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish; but what good are these for so many?” (John 6: 9).

   I try to become that boy, seeing what he sees, hearing what he hears.  How would I react when the disciple came and asked me for the loaves and fish?  Would I willingly give them up or would I hesitate, thinking like the disciple did, that so little food was of no use for so many.

   As I gave Jesus the food, would I still be wondering how my few loaves and fish could help?  Then He blessed the food, and I watched in amazement as over five thousand people had their fill; all from my few loaves and two fish.  Would I recognize Him as the Messiah in the miracle He had performed?

   God will, at times, open the scriptures.  But it takes desire, trust, and prayer.  It takes reading the scripture for inspiration rather than just for intellectual knowledge.  It means giving my heart and soul to Him and prayerfully listening to what He wants to tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment