Thursday, July 20, 2023

 The Peace of Christ 

   “Peace is that deep, interior stillness that tells you that no matter what kind of catastrophe might be happening in your life or in the world, everything is going to be ok.” (Dr. Gregory Bottaro, “The Mindful Catholic”) 

   I write about the peace that comes from knowing the Lord quite often because there seems to be so little peace available in the world in which we live.  Not a day goes by that we aren’t bombarded with bad news of terrible events.  Rarely, if ever, do we see anything good in the media.  Like the man said, “If it bleeds, it leads”.

   Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give it to you.  Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” (John 14: 27).  The peace Jesus gives is very different from what the world calls peace.  There is no true peace in the world, something will always disturb what we might call peace.  Any tranquility we might find lasts only for a very short time.  I don’t believe the world really wants peace, it wants power and control, neither of which brings true peace.

   The peace that I have within me, the peace that comes from God’s love is true peace.  It is not a peace that the world can take from me even in the worst of times.  No matter the trial, no matter the cross I may have to bear, I can do so by God’s grace which conquers all.

   St. Augustine said, “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.”  There is no rest, no peace, no serenity to be had in the world.  When I place my faith and trust in God I am at peace and there is nothing that the world can do to take it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment