Saturday, July 8, 2023

 We Are Spiritual 

   A line in a book I was reading made me stop and reflect on the importance of what was said, “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”

   It made me think about the balance in my life.  If I were to keep a log of my thoughts and activities, how much time would be spent on worldly needs and thoughts and how much on the spiritual?  I’m not going to keep such a log because I don’t think I want to know the answer, or maybe I already know the answer and don’t like it.

   If too much of my time is taken up by taking care of my human needs it’s likely that my spiritual needs are being pushed aside.  If so, my priorities are completely backwards!  I need to care for my spiritual needs first, and when I do, God will help me see to my human needs.

   Living in this world can be a demanding experience but living in this world should not be the ultimate or even primary concern in my life.  No matter how long I live it is just the blink of an eye when compared with eternity.  If I allow earthly matters to overwhelm the spiritual I may very well be putting my eternal soul in jeopardy.  To put it simply, life is short, eternity is forever.

   As Christ told His apostles in the Garden of Gethsemane, “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matt 26: 41).  I pray that with God’s help I can tame the flesh and strengthen the spirit within.

No comments:

Post a Comment