Wednesday, July 26, 2023

 The Last Hour 

   “Never will we understand the value of time better than when our last hour is at hand.” (St. Arnold Janssen) 

   Do some people put off turning to God thinking they will have plenty of time to do so before they die?  I suspect some do.  If so, they should considered the following; 

   As I lay dying will I have the mental ability to make amends with God?  Will I be conscious; will my mind still be functioning?  If not, how am I to repent and find salvation?  How horrible to think that I wasted all the time given to me and now don’t have the ability or the time to turn to Him.

   Or what if that truck that should have stopped for the red light but didn’t broadsides my car, killing me instantly?  Will there be even a second to pray in sorrow, seeking forgiveness?  Quite possibly, the answer is no.

   What if the aneurism that has been lying dormant in my brain for many years ruptures and I am dead even before I fall to the ground?  Will there be that last chance to seek God’s forgiveness? 

   I may live a long life; some may say I already have.  But still, I don’t know when this life will be over.  Today, tonight, tomorrow, twenty years from now; only God knows.  There is nothing more important than to be prepared for that moment whenever it may come.

No comments:

Post a Comment