Thursday, July 6, 2023

 The Blessed Sacrament 

   “Now as they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and when he had said the blessing he broke it and gave it to the disciples.  ‘Take it and eat’; he said, ‘this is my body.'  Then he took a cup, and when he had returned thanks he gave it to them, ‘Drink all of you from this’, he said, ‘for this is my blood, the blood of the covenant, which is to be poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.’” (Matt 26: 26 – 28) 

   Many Catholics and practically all of those of protestant faiths, do not accept the real presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.  They refer to it as a symbol or simply a practice of remembrance.  No where is the word symbol found in any of Jesus’ teaching about the Blessed Sacrament, no where is it mentioned that it is just a way to remember Him.

   In John’s bread of life discourse (John 6: 35 – 71) Jesus said over and over that He is the bread of life and that the bread He would give was His flesh.  He said very clearly, “I tell you most solemnly, if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you will not have life in you.” (John 6: 53).  There is no equivocation in His words, it is a simple statement of fact.

   The people were startled and confused, asking how He could give his flesh to eat.  Jesus did not back down from His statement, in fact He repeated it over and over, again and again.  “For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.” (John 6: 55).  There is no room for doubt that He meant exactly what He said.

   This teaching was so outrageous to the people that many, including some of His disciples, walked away from following Him.  Still, He did not call to them, explaining that He was speaking symbolically or in parables.  Rather, He let those who refused to accept His word walk away.  Does anyone really believe that Jesus would let His followers turn from Him and walk away from God over a simple misunderstanding?  He spoke the truth and the truth is not negotiable.

   I wish there were some way I could explain the joy and peace that comes to me when I receive the Blessed Sacrament.  I wish I could convince everyone of what happiness they are missing.  To receive the glorified Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord is beyond description; my Lord, giving Himself to me under the guise of a piece of unleavened bread.

   I don’t have the words to explain it; I don’t believe it can be explained.  I don’t understand it; I don’t believe it can be understood in human terms.  But I have no doubt whatsoever that it is true and that I receive Jesus within me each time I receive the Holy Eucharist.  He is the Bread of Life.

1 comment: