Tuesday, September 12, 2023

 Cafeteria Christians 

   Christianity is not a smorgasbord where we can select and reject the truths of God.  It’s not up to me to second guess the wisdom of God in His laws, but to obey those laws, even when they are hard.  Yet there are those who seem to want to define Christianity for themselves, who believe they are better than God at determining what is good or evil.  That didn’t work out very well for our first parents and it still doesn’t work out well today.

   If I am to be a Christian there are rules and doctrines that must be accepted.  There are things in the teachings of Christ that are difficult.  Loving one’s enemies is not an easy thing, yet Jesus said, “But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you. (Matt 5: 44).  It’s not up to me to question His teachings, but to follow them.

   It doesn’t matter whether I can explain the truths of God or if I find them hard to live by them, what matters is that I accept them and do my best to follow His will in my life.  If I start picking and choosing which I will accept and which I will not I am then rejecting the wisdom and omniscience of God.

   Maybe in the next life I will be able to see clearly what is now clouded and unclear and will understand what cannot now be understood.  Until then, I will continue to believe and accept the truths of God even when they are hard or difficult to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment