Friday, September 22, 2023

 Past Sins 

   “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our sins from us.” (Psalm 103:12) 

   From time to time I am reminded of my past sins.  Those sins that, had I died at that time, would have condemned me to hell.  But those sins are forgiven and through the grace of God are as far from me as the east is from the west.

   I suspect these reminders of my sins are a ploy of Satan.  An effort to make me question if those sins were really forgiven, or far too evil to ever be forgiven.  But then I remember that “he is a liar and the father of lies.” (John 8: 44).

   I’ve come to believe that remembering past sins is, in fact, a blessing.  I know without doubt that they are forgiven because to think otherwise would be to bring into question the promises of Christ.  However, they remind me of how easy it is to slip into sin and to separate myself from God. They give me determination to try even harder to never offend my Lord and, if I should fail, to go to Him immediately in sorrow, seeking His forgiveness once again.

   I am human and I know that sin is part of humanity.  St. John wrote, “If we say, ‘We are without sin,’ we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” (1 John 8”)  And yet, God continues to love us, to reach out to us in mercy, willing to forgive us when we repent.

   I thank God for having forgiven my sins and never want to sin against Him again.  Though I know that in my weakness I will fail in those efforts, I believe my sincere desire to avoid sin is pleasing to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment