Sunday, September 3, 2023

 Carrying the Cross 

   “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.” (Matt 16: 24) 

   Many people try to run away from it, many deny it, and many ignore it,  but there will be crosses that we must bear.  Some are heavier than others and some are nearly impossible.  Still if we are to follow Christ to paradise we must carry the crosses we are given.

   When I look at my Lord hanging on the cross I’m reminded that the cross on which He died was just the last cross of many that He had borne during His life.

   From His birth in a stable, placed in a manger for a crib, to His exile to Egypt to avoid Herod’s efforts to kill Him, throughout His ministry, all the way to Calvary crosses were a constant part of His life.

   The Son of God came to offer redemption, the forgiveness of sins and a path to God’s heavenly kingdom.  Yet, He was rejected, misunderstood, and finally hung on a cross to die by those He had come to save.

   His chosen apostles included Judas Iscariot who would betray Him for thirty pieces of silver.  Peter, the rock upon who Christ would build His church, three times denied that he even knew Jesus.  All of them ran and hid in fear for their lives; only John returned and stood at the foot of the cross.  Many were the crosses He bore willingly and lovingly for us.

   The life and ministry of Christ was considered by many as a failure.  Few could or would accept a Messiah whose message was ignored, one who was vilified by the religious leaders, and ended up dying a horrible death on a cross.  Yet, faith in that so-called “failure” remains in every corner of the world still today. 

   Could I carry the many crosses that my Lord carried for me?  Could I remain true to my faith when it meant rejection, hatred and certain death?  I pray that it be so, but without the help of God I know it would not.  Still, the scripture reminds me that I must pick up my cross and carry it if I am to follow Jesus.  And so, I will continue to accept my cross and carry it to the best of my ability, trusting always in the strength and mercy of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment