Saturday, September 16, 2023

 Loving God Above All 

   “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” (Matt 10: 37) 

   This scripture has been difficult for many, including myself.  It seems to imply that we should have a lesser love of father or mother, son or daughter, or even for our spouse.

   I have come to understand that what it means is not that we should have less love for those in our lives but that we must love God above all else, even including our loved ones in this world.  But it doesn’t detract from the fact that we can and should love them dearly.

   By loving God first and foremost it enables me to love the people in my life even more.  When I offer my greatest love to Him, He returns that love with interest, which enables me to love father or mother, son or daughter, or my spouse with an even greater love.

   God is love and He desires that we love all of our family and neighbors.  By always offering our greatest love to God we are able to love others with a greater love as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment