Tuesday, September 5, 2023

 Changes in Attitudes 

   Very early in life I did not know God, my ideas and attitudes were driven by the world around me.  With no spiritual guidance I, like many others, looked to the lures and pleasures of the world to find the enjoyment and happiness I sought.  What I found was that these things, while they did provide some moments of what I considered joy, were very fragile.  They did not last and did not bring what I somehow knew I was seeking.

   At eighteen I joined the Navy and left home.  In Boot Camp attendance at Sunday services was strongly encouraged almost to the point of being an order to attend.  I followed the rules and attended, but mainly dozed during the service.  However, at least I had begun to be introduced to the God of scripture, though it had very little impact at that time.

   I have often said and firmly believe that God brought my wife to me so that she could bring me to Him.  A faithful Catholic, she married and loved this pagan of a man.  Since I didn’t have religion I went to Mass with her each week.  I suspect that at the time it had more to do with being with her than any real interest in God.

   However, as I experienced the faith she had and saw the peace she received from that faith, I became more and more certain that I needed such faith in my life.  So, at the Easter Vigil Mass in 1971 I was baptized into the Catholic Church.

   Over the years my faith has grown and, sadly, ebbed at times.  At this time in my life, my faith is my all.  It is what gives me the strength to face each day regardless of what may come.  It is my hope for the future, and it is the driving force of my life.  I wish my faith had always been as it is now, but God has been patient with me, slowly but surely bringing me closer to Him.

   Now I am in what some would call the “twilight of my years”.  The years past will undoubtedly far outnumber the years to come, and I’m fine with that.  My life has had its ups and downs, but with God the ups far outweigh the downs and with His help the downs aren't nearly as hard.  I look forward to finishing whatever God has in mind for me in this life and joining Him and the wife who brought me to Him in His heavenly kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. Although each story differs, many share a common thread that you express. Whatever the path taken, there is a change in attitude where the treasures of heaven or discovered.

    ReplyDelete