Friday, September 8, 2023

 God’s Will 

   “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God.  Let your good spirit lead me on a level path.” (Psalm 143:10) 

   The way to heaven is via God’s will, there is no other path that will take me there.  But how am I to know God’s will in my life?  If I don’t know His will, how can I follow it?

   I’ve come to believe that knowing the will of God in my life is accepting what comes, believing that God sends me nothing that is not for my benefit.  I may not understand, I may wish to choose a different way, but there is no other way.  Only by my acceptance and obedience to His will can I find the road that leads to His kingdom.

   At times it can be easy to begin to wonder why.  I don’t understand why something has happened or how it can possibly be God’s will for me.  When I was going through the hardest struggle of my life I told my priest that I didn’t know what God wanted of me. I couldn't grasp why this tragedy had happened.  He answered very simply, “Sometimes God just wants you to endure.”

   Those words have come back to me many times when I’ve been confused or troubled about God’s will.  In one sense I believe it is a test; am I willing to trust God no matter what?  Do I have the faith to accept the hardships in life, believing that all will be known and understood when this life is over.  I’ve found that prayer, offering my confusion and uncertainty to the Lord is the way to overcome those times that are simply beyond my understanding.

    “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.”  (Isaiah 55: 8).  It is not for me to question the ways of God, but to accept them.  It is not for me to question His ways, but to obey them.  He is God, and I am not.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment