Friday, September 15, 2023

 Follow Me 

   “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.” (Matt 7: 21) 

   “Follow me.”  Jesus used these words to call His disciples and His followers.  Most didn’t know Him before they were called, but they responded to his call to follow.  Imagine for a moment a stranger approaching you and saying, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” (Matt 4: 19).  Would you respond to His call and follow Him?

   He is still calling his disciples to follow Him and He wants all of us as His disciples.  Some will respond to His call and many will ignore it.  Some will give up little while others may take His advice to the rich man, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me.” (Matt 19:21).

   In my mind following Jesus is far more than just believing in Him as the Son of God, the Messiah.  Following Christ is a way of life that must change me.  I must desire what He desires, the will of God.  I must forego the sinful desires of a wicked world and look to Jesus as the example I am to emulate in life.  Just saying I believe means nothing if that belief doesn’t change my life.

   Jesus lived His life to follow the will of the Father all the way to Calvary.  If I am to follow Jesus, I must model my life after His, I must strive always to follow the will of God regardless of where it may lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment