Wednesday, August 28, 2019


Conversion

   Most Christians have, at some point in their life, had a conversion experience.  It may not have been an earth-shattering event; it could have been a change over a long period of time.  Regardless the circumstances finding and accepting God changes a person.

   St. Augustine is one of the greatest theologians, teachers, and ministers of the Catholic faith.  Yet he too rebelled against the faithful life his mother tried to teach him.  He was a womanizer and involved in heretical sects at times.  When he finally came to realize that he needed God he expressed it this way:

“Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!  You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you.  In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created.  You were with me, but I was not with you.  Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would not have been at all.  You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness.  You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness.  You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you.  I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more.  You touched me, and I burned for your peace.”  (St. Augustine, “Confessions”)

   Augustine’s conversion was one of great consequence.   If it is God’s will ours can be as well.  God will make us holy if we allow; He will make us saints.

God, You love me and want me for Your own.
I give myself to You without reservation.
Create in me the holiness You desire.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment