Thursday, August 15, 2019


Prayer of Silence

   “For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.” (St. Therese of Lisieux)

   Those who know me can tell you that I have a bad habit of starting to talk before others are finished.  It’s rude and disruptive to conversation.  I am aware of it and try to stop but sometimes I still do it.  It’s one of those things I prayer for God to take from me.

   My fear is that in my prayer life I may interrupt God by talking too much.  That is why I’m drawn to a more contemplative way of prayer.  A time of silence, just focusing on God and what He might want to tell me.  Not speaking, trying to clear my mind of external thoughts and concerns.  A time for nothing but listening for the word of God.

   I continue to prayer as I always have but this added time of silent communion with the Lord has increased both the depth of my prayer life and my faith.  It is then that I am at peace with God, comfortable that He is with me and will lead me if I will only listen.  Interestingly the words listen and silent contain the same letters.  I can’t truly listen unless I am silent.

   Prayer is my “happy place”; it’s where I spend more and more of my time.  In the past I prayed when I had the time, now I take the time to pray and other things can wait.  The cares and concerns of this world take a back seat to my time with God in prayer.

   All prayer is beneficial but more so if it is a two-way conversation.  Not only does God want to hear us, He wants us to hear Him.  In silence we give Him that opportunity.

Lord, teach me to hold my tongue.
In silence I can better hear Your word.
May I listen and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment