Monday, August 5, 2019

Eternity

   “For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

   I’ve been considering eternity quite a lot recently.  Trying to grasp what it really means.  So far, I’ve had little luck.  I understand that the word means never ending but what does it mean to me in relationship to my eternal sole.
 
   The idea of an existence where there is no such thing as time baffles me.  I’ve tried to imagine a world without it but it’s just not possible.  I am a creature bound by time.  Everything I do relates to it, what time to go to bed; to get up.  I need to know when I need to be somewhere and how long it will take me to get there.  Time is important to virtually every aspect of my life.  Except my immortal soul.

   The best analogy I’ve been able to come up with is that of water.  Consider that one drop of water equals 100 years.  That means that my lifetime will, in all probability, be less than a drop of water.  Now consider the number of drops of water in all the oceans, seas, lakes, rivers and ponds in the world.  To go even further, assume that there are somewhere in the universe a thousand other worlds with just as many drops of water as there are on earth.  To me it’s mind-boggling but it helps me get some small vision of what eternity really is.

   I can hardly wait to experience eternity with my God and my loved ones who have gone before me.  I may not be able to fully understand it, but I desire it with all my heart and soul.

Lord You are eternal.
I am a creature of time.
Yet I too am destined for eternity.
May I be eternally in Your presence.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment