Wednesday, June 17, 2020


Society in Freefall

   I suppose people could call me an old man out of touch with today’s society.  Rather than being offended, I am proud to agree.  Not only am I out of touch with society, I actively reject the reality of today’s society.

   I grew up in a time when there was still some respect left in our culture.  We might not like someone else’s opinions, but we honored their right to express those opinions.  Today, if someone disagrees they are vilified, condemned, and in some cases subject to legal action.  There are some opinions, and even truths, that are no longer allowed in public.

   For instance, I am no longer free to express my belief in God’s word if it isn’t what “polite society” wants to hear.  If I suggest that sex, any sex, outside of a sacramental marriage is a sin, I am considered homophobic, sexist, or a misogynist.  If I consider abortion an abomination, I am considered anti-woman, one who doesn’t care about the heath and well-being of women.  Why does no one defend the health and well-being of the female babies who aren't given the chance to become women due to abortion?

   Society never equates the evil with sin.  As death tolls soar in our major cities, they see no connection to immorality.  Killing the elderly who can no longer defend themselves is called mercy, not the taking of an innocent life.  Many consider the death penalty justice, even though it is unfairly imposed.  When evil rears it’s head society never sees Satan, they see “freedom” and “individual rights.”

   We say politics, the entertainment industry, news media, and even our Churches are responsible for society.  But the real responsibility resides with each of us.  We need to have the courage to confront sinfulness even when we know it is not the popular thing to do.

   Society needs God, it cannot long endure without Him.  It will deteriorate and fall apart as many have done in the past.  The truths of God’s word are not subject to change at the whim of society and society will not survive without them.

Society has become defective.
We have turned from Your ways.
Turn us back to You.
Teach us Your truths.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment