Tuesday, June 16, 2020


The Garden of Gethsemane

   I sometimes try to insert myself into Scripture, as if I were there as a witness.  In considering Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, I can envision the following encounter.

   "Jesus entered the garden knowing that it was to be His last night as the man He had chosen to become.  Tomorrow would be His passion, crucifixion, and death.  He was in deep sorrow, not for Himself but those He had come to save.  In their rejection of Him, they would reject God Himself.

   Still Satan would not give up; again he tempted the Lord.  “You can’t save these creatures.  They’re sinners and belong to me.  Even now they are plotting a most horrible death for you.  They don’t love you, or even want you, why should you suffer for them?

   Jesus lifted His head from prayer, “I will die for them.  They were created to be my brothers and sisters, my family.  My death and resurrection will be the greatest of all examples of my love and mercy.  Not all will accept but I will rejoice in those who do, and they will rejoice in me.  They will know eternal love and happiness.”

   “You would give your life knowing that most will still reject you?”  Satan was at a loss to understand.  “If you can’t have them all why die for a few?”

   Christ looked at the evil one and replied, “My sacrifice is for each one.  Their sins are personal and so is my sacrifice for them.  If only one will believe I will sacrifice my life for that one.”

   Satan, shook his head and left, confused, and frustrated."

   His gift is personal, His grace is offered to each of us. He gave His life for me and for you.

Lord, You died for my sins.
I believe in Your love and mercy.
Drive Satan from me.
Claim me as Your own.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment