Friday, June 12, 2020


The Tiny Whispering Sound of God

   “A strong and heavy wind was rending the mountains and crushing rocks before the Lord – but the Lord was not in the wind.  After the wind there was an earthquake – but the Lord was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake there was fire – but the Lord was not in the fire.  After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound.  When he heard this, Elijah hid his face in his cloak and went and stood at the entrance of the cave.”  (1 Kings 19: 11 – 13)

   This is one of my favorite passages of scripture.  In a world that expects big miracles and indisputable evidence of the existence of God, the quietness of His presence can be a stumbling block.  They seek Him in the world rather than in their heart.  They ignore the calling within themselves.

   God is present everywhere in His creation.  But He also wants a presence within my heart.  A presence that is not loud or obvious but one of peace and a knowledge of His love and mercy.  A personal, one-on-one relationship with me.

   Ships in the Navy have no external lights at night in order to avoid detection.  When at sea I found peace from the day by going outside at night.  I would lie down on the deck in the darkness and gaze up at the magnificence of God’s creation.  The number of stars visible in complete darkness is incredible and speaks loudly to God’s presence.  But it was in the stillness, the quiet sound of the waves washing against the ship, the silence of the night that I found God in the depths of my heart and soul.

   For one who seeks God, His majesty and presence is everywhere.  In the universe He created, in the humanity He made in His image, in all things.  But it is in the quiet that I hear the tiny whispering sound of God and experience His presence within.

Your creation speaks to Your majesty.
All You have created testifies to You.
But it is in the quiet that I find You in my heart.
I come to You in silence and know Your presence.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment