Thursday, April 28, 2022

A Merciful Judge 

   “Don’t judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.” 

   This quote has been around for many years and has been used by many people although it seems no one is certain where it originated.  However, the advice is of great value; we can never begin to know what another has been through that has brought them to where they are today.

   Jesus became man, He was like us in all things but sin.  Because of this He knew the weakness of humanity; He knew the temptations we experience every day.  He experienced temptation as Satan foolishly tried to draw even the Son of God into sin.

   Our Lord knew the hardships we face in life.  He saw the effects of sin, the illnesses that many suffer from and the difficulties that life can bring.  He knew the loss of friends through death and the pain and sorrow of those who loved them.  He likely experienced the death of His earthly father, Joseph.  He knew the trials we know.

   Jesus experienced physical pain through His scourging, the crowning of thorns and the horrible death He suffered on the cross.  He saw the pain of others in their blindness, deafness, and infirmities.  He saw the devastation of diseases such as leprosy.  In all things except sin, He experienced human life.

   I used to wonder why He would submit Himself to all these things, but I believe I have come to understand.  When He looks at me at my death and passes judgement upon me He knows the struggles I’ve had, He knows the pain and suffering I have endured.  He knows how weak I am even though I want to be strong.  He knows that I can no more be sinless than I can fly.  Because of all this, my judge is a merciful Judge.  My Lord, Jesus Christ, knows me and knows that my greatest desire is to serve Him, though I often fail.

   It is because of  His unquestionable understanding of humanity that I place my hope for His mercy when I stand before Him.

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment