Sunday, April 3, 2022

 Nourishing the Soul 

   “Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matt 10: 28) 

   As I sat in the adoration chapel this morning a thought came to mind.  I try my best to care for my body, but do I put as much effort into caring for my soul?  It’s a question that must be answered if I am to reach the heavenly kingdom.

   What it made me consider was this:  If I placed the effort I put into maintaining my mortal body on one side of a scale and the effort I expend maintaining my immortal soul on the other, which way would the scale settle?  If I’m doing it correctly, concern for my soul should outweigh the concern for my physical well-being.

   I take vitamins and a few other supplements to ensure I’m getting the right amount of nutrients.  I try to eat a sensible diet, avoiding those foods that are most harmful.  Exercise is a regular part of my daily routine and I ensure that I am getting a proper amount of rest.  When needed, I take appropriate medication as prescribed.  In short I put quite a bit of effort into caring for this body which is only a temporary home.

   Then I considered how much effort I put into caring for the part of me that is eternal, my soul.  Without going into details, I do try to nourish my soul as well as my body.  I spend time in prayer, quietly communing with my Lord.  I regularly receive the best nutrition available for my soul, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.  By reconciliation and repentance for my sins, I take the appropriate "medicine’ for my soul.

   Deep thoughts for so early in the morning, but some that must be considered.  Taking care of myself physically is a good thing, but properly nurturing my soul will lead me to eternal life in God’s kingdom.

 

Father, help me care for my soul.  Lead me on the path to righteousness and eternal life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment