Friday, April 8, 2022

 In Exile 

   “If you wish to remain steadfast in grace and to grow in virtue, consider yourself an exile and a pilgrim in this world.” (Thomas à Kempis, “The Imitation of Christ”) 

   There is a reason that happiness is so difficult to find in the world.  The world is not our home and true happiness can only be found when we are at home.

   When the Israelites were in exile they mourned, saying, “For there our captors asked us for the words of a song; our tormentors for joy; ‘Sing for us a song of Zion!’  But how could we sing a song of the Lord in a foreign land?” (Ps137: 3 – 4).  Today we aren’t asked to sing a song of the Lord, we are rather told to sit down and shut up.  Truly, we are in exile in a foreign land.

   It saddens me that evil seems to be gaining more and more ground in societies all over the world.  Even so called religious leaders are proposing to change the truths of God to better fit in with the prevailing culture.  They refuse to acknowledge that truth still is truth even though it may be unpopular.  I also recognize that the world is largely in the camp of the evil one and God’s truths have always been despised by Satan.  It will remain so until our Savior comes again in glory.

   Hope, however, brings peace and calm to a tumultuous world.  As long as I maintain my faith in the promises of Christ this world cannot overcome me.  For He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”  (John 14: 6)  Amen, Lord!  Help me follow Your way and live by Your truth in this world so that I may live eternally with You in the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment