Monday, April 11, 2022

 Why Does He Love Me? 

   When I look in the mirror what do I see?  Do I see someone who is worthy of the love of God, or do I see a sinner who deserves none of the many blessings I have received?  The answer is obvious, I am an underserving sinner, but God loves me anyway.  I’ve often tried to understand why.

   Why would the Son of God give up His glory for a while to become a man like me in all ways except sin?  Why would he submit Himself to the ridicule and rejection of those He came to save?   Most of all why would He willingly accept the brutality He underwent, the scourging, the crown of thorns, and the cross?

   There have been times when I have turned from Him, doing exactly the opposite of what I should have been doing, seeking my own selfish desires.  I have refused to follow His ways and walk the path He has placed before me.  And still, He hasn’t given upon on me; He has not abandoned me to my sins.

   It would be much more appropriate for Him to say “Enough!” and let me go my own way, no longer caring.  Instead, He forgives me and tells me that I am His.  And even though I still sin, He still forgives, He still offers His mercy.  I do not deserve it, I cannot earn it.  I can only accept it as a gift from the God who loves me and try my best to live my life for Him.

   The answer to why God loves me, and you, is quite simple; God is love.  There is no other reason, there is no need for any other reason.  He will continue to love, He will continue to forgive those who repent of their sins.  He will continue to reach out to His children, seeking to bring them home.

 

   “I take pleasure, not in the death of a wicked man, but in the turning back of a wicked man who changes his ways to win life.” (Ezekiel 33: 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment