Wednesday, April 20, 2022

 Past Sins 

   “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our sins from us.  (Psalm 103: 12) 

   There are times when the memory of my past sins come to mind as if they were committed yesterday.  This troubles me in some ways and is a blessing in others.

   It troubles me because I fear it is Satan trying to convince me that those sins were not properly confessed, and therefore, not forgiven.  This is just another lie from the father of all lies, but still, it bothers me.  If I begin to consider this possibility I have taken a turn from the path I am to walk; the path of God and trust in His merciful love and forgiveness.

   On the other hand, the remembrance of past sins can also be a blessing.  When I consider the sins I’ve committed in the past I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the love and mercy of a forgiving God.

   I am humbled by the memory of past sins.  They remind me that I can do nothing good except with the help of God.  Though I am unworthy of His mercy and forgiveness, He forgives.  Though I am unable to properly atone for my sins, Jesus came to atone for me.

   I sometimes wish I could simply forget my past sins, but I also realize that the memory urges me to strive even harder to never repeat them.  The love and mercy shown by God in His forgiveness of my sins urges me to more readily seek Him in sorrow and repentance for my sins.  Even disturbing memories such as my past sins are a means of increasing my reliance on God.

   When the memories of past sins occur, I must recognize that Satan is a liar and rest in peace in the mercy and love of God, confident that my sins are forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment