Saturday, April 30, 2022

 Do Not Be Afraid 

   “The wind was strong, and the sea was getting rough.  They had rowed three or four miles when they saw Jesus walking on the lake and coming towards the boat  This frightened them, but He said, ‘It is I.  Do not be afraid.” (John 6: 18 – 20) 

   Jesus often tried to calm the fears and concerns of the apostles.  In the violent seas, in their doubts and questions about Him and His mission.  At the last supper He again reminded them, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God still, and trust in me.” (John 14: 1).

   These words of comfort are so important to us still today.  We see the evil in the world, the wars, pain, and suffering and it is easy to become afraid, worrying about what comes next.  However, we have no control over what comes next, that is God’s purview and for us to think it is ours to decide is arrogant and futile.

   We are faced with two choices.  We can allow the world to overcome our peace and bring turmoil into our lives, or we can follow the words of Jesus, always trusting in God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

 

   “There are many rooms in my Father’s house; if there were not, I should have told you.  I am going now to prepare a place for you, and after I have gone and prepared you a place, I shall return to take you with me; so that where I am you may be too.” (John 14: 2 – 3)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment