Friday, April 22, 2022

 The Gift of Contemplation 

   Many think contemplation is just a different form of meditation, but it is so much more.  I can consciously meditate upon the word of God and often do, but contemplation is not something I can achieve on my own.  Contemplation, like holiness can only be granted as a gift from God.

   Contemplation is not something I do; it is a holy place that I can’t enter unless God invites me.  No words are spoken, no prayers are offered, simply an open heart waiting for my God.  Do I reach the level of contemplation?  I believe I do at times.  However, as soon as I begin to think about it, I am back in the world rather than with my Lord.  Contemplation is not something I can cling to; it not of my will, but of His.

   Over the years I’ve read many books about the contemplative life and there’s one thing I have discovered; the experience is rarely the same for everyone.  The contemplative life is very much personal, and I believe God grants it in various ways as appropriate for each of us.

   Perhaps I will grow in the contemplative life; I pray that I will.  But it is a gift from God, and like all His many gifts, I am unworthy to receive it.  My hope is that He will grant me this grace so that I may grow closer to Him in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment