Tuesday, April 12, 2022

 Denying Christ 

   Peter denied Christ.  Three times he said, and even swore, that he didn’t know Christ.  Three times he rejected the one of whom he had said, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” (Matt 16: 16).

   When many of His disciples left Him because of His teachings on the Eucharist (John 6: 22 – 71), Jesus asked the apostles if they too would leave Him.  Peter, speaking for the twelve replied, “Master, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.”  Still, when he feared for his own life, Peter denied knowing Jesus.

   I can’t be too hard on Peter, however.  There have been times in my life when I too have denied Jesus.  There isn’t a Christian who has not at one time or another, rejected Christ in their life.  We ignore a teaching we may not like as if we can change the truth.  Something of the world beckons and we follow though we know it is not His will.  We may never actually say or swear that we don’t know Jesus, but our actions often show that we don’t truly know Him as we should.

   As much as I wish it were possible, I know that I cannot live even a day without sinning in some way.  If my sins were remembered there would be no hope for my entry into heaven.  Thankfully, they are stricken from the record once confessed and forgiven.  “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our sins from us.” (Psalm 103: 12).

   I will continue to try to avoid sin by which I deny Christ and His will.  I will continue to sorrow when I fail, seeking His mercy and forgiveness.  In His love and unending mercy, He will forgive.  My hope for eternal life rest in these truths.

No comments:

Post a Comment