Thursday, June 13, 2019


God Our Salvation

   “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”  (Isaiah 12: 2)

   Throughout scripture God’s people looked to Him for their comfort and salvation.  Even in exile the Israelites gave praise to God and were confident of His love.  Prophets risked their life to proclaim the word of God.  They were mistreated, beaten, and persecuted but they continued to preach God’s word.  The apostles spread the Gospel throughout the known world.  Most were martyred for their efforts.

   St. Paul, in his second letter to the Corinthians speaks of some of the trials he had endured, “Five times I have received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one.  Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned.” (2 Cor 11: 24 – 25).”  Yet he stayed the course, preaching the word of God.

   There seems to be very little of this kind of devotion to God and His word today.  Politicians profess their Christianity, but their votes say their true religion is their own ego and desire for re-election.  Some of those in the ministry, pastors, priests, and bishops seem to care more for their position than the well-being of their flock.  These will be called to account for their deeds when judgement comes.

   “Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?”  (Luke 18: 8).  This is a question each of must answer.  Where is our faith? Are we willing to suffer for our Lord and our salvation?  Do we live our life for God or just go to church on Sunday?  Do we care for those less fortunate than us?  Is God our Salvation?  Do we trust in Him in all things, unafraid of the trials and pains this world may inflict?  Is our faith the faith of the prophets, the apostles and martyrs?  These are the questions we need to ask ourselves. 

Lord help us to trust in You.
Increase our faith.
Strengthen our love for You.
Take away our fear and give us peace.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Many times I get angry at all the dysfunction around us,especially that which comes from within the church. Then I remember such things like God has already won and I'm trying to stay on his side and there is a virtue called hope. With all of that there is no need for me to be angry.

    ReplyDelete