Sunday, June 30, 2019


The Holy Spirit

   “But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me;” (John 15: 26)

   How are we to recognize the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, when He comes.  Unlike the apostles in the upper room there will be no tongues of flame settling upon us.  Most likely we will not begin speaking in tongues, healing the sick or performing miracles.  But we can be sure that He will change our life.

   For me the presence of the Holy Spirit is a presence of peace and comfort.  Even in the darkest hours He is there to reassure me that God loves me; that He has everything under control.  All I need do is trust in Him.

   That trust can be difficult when it seems our world has been torn apart; when it seems that we no longer have a reason for living.  But the Spirit will pray for us and with us.  God will give us comfort.  He will help us carry whatever cross we are to bear.  Trust may be hard but without it I am confident that there are times when I would simply give up.

   The Holy Spirit brings peace to me.  He comforts me in my sorrow and strengthens my faith.  I turn to Him and He is always there.  Even in the most difficult of times, He is my security.  He is the One who speaks to me, soothes me and calms me.

   Life may be hard; difficulties may test us and our faith.  Thankfully, we can turn to the Holy Spirit.  He will lead us through the darkness to the light to come.

Fill me Holy Spirit
You are my peace and comfort.
You strengthen me in times of trouble.
You assure me of God’s love for me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment